Updated: September 29, 2017
The CBC was launched in 2006 with a generous grant from the Searle Funds at The Chicago Community Trust (SFCCT) at the level of $5 million per year. To date, $55 million has been invested in the CBC. During the past 11 years, the CBC has strengthened the Chicago biomedical community in a number of ways.
As of July 2017*, the CBC has supported:
- 251 Awards supporting cutting-edge research in many areas including antibiotic resistance, cancer, heart disease, drug discovery, mental health and neurological disorders, and diabetes,
- Recruitment of 8 outstanding senior and junior faculty members who have gone on to receive numerous national awards,
- Professional development programs for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows,
- Mentoring assistance for researchers interested in commercializing discoveries,
- Fourteen Annual Symposia and over 30 other events, showcasing research supported by the CBC and high-end technologies available at CBC universities.
Notable outcomes from CBC support include:
- 1860 peer-reviewed publications attributed to CBC-funded research (see graph below),
- Establishment of six national research centers at CBC universities,
- Facilitation of the Open Access Initiative, allowing CBC-affiliated researchers to use all core facilities at ‘in-house’ rates,
- Well over $500 million in follow-on funding from CBC-initiated research,
- Estimated total economic input approaching $2 billion for the Chicago economy.
Impact on Scientific Discoveries
Research funded by CBC award programs has yielded a total of 1860 publications (as of July 31, 2017*). These papers, most in high-impact journals, report advances in many biomedical subject areas, including antibiotic resistance, cancer, heart disease, drug discovery, mental health and neurological disorders, and diabetes, moving science forward on many fronts. The graph shows yearly publications (blue line) and cumulative publications (red line).
*Data collected through July 31, 2017.
Starting in 2012, the CBC has summarized its annual accomplishments in “Perspectives.” Please download this annual report to learn more about the research sponsored by the CBC, and its impact on the city of Chicago and the CBC universities.
*The Accomplishments page is updated annually in September.